Sunday, September 29, 2013

Life Without Some Organs

When I was pregnant with Lydia, I remember having my first gallbladder attack.  I remember being on the phone with my mom, wondering if those spasms I felt were contractions.  She told me she thought they were up too high to be contractions (and thank goodness, as I was only about 20ish weeks pregnant).  I all of a sudden had the urge to purge (that's all the dets I'll make you read about, Folks, but you get the picture).  After doing so, I felt much better. I have had this same feeling off and on for the last three and a half years.  About a month and a half ago, I had the same problem, but this time it was the worst I've ever had it and it just never really went away.  I went to a surgeon to be checked out and he ordered an ultrasound to be done.  

During the ultrasound, it was found that I had polyps inside my gallbladder.  The surgeon called and talked me about the polyps and said I had two choices:  1.  Leave the gallbladder and monitor it each year with ultrasound or 2.  Take it out and not worry about it.  Apparently the polyps were very unlikely to be cancerous, but he said if they developed (which was a pretty good chance), I may have a hard time dealing with that.  I am a worrier (about life in general, let's be real), so when I asked the doctor what his opinion was, his words were "Why worry about it?  Take it out and be done with it!" He also wanted to do a procedure where he inserted a camera into my stomach to see if there were any polyps/damage in my stomach as well.   

So... very nervously, I had my gallbladder removed on September 19 and the doctor also took my appendix while he was in surgery.  He found that I have some reflux damage that I now am being medicated for too.  

While everything was scoped out, I still have had some serious soreness, but the hardest has been trying to nurse little Henry.  We are working at getting back to working together, but since surgery, we've had some hard times because I can't really hold him how we are both used to.    

No comments:

Post a Comment